And the Aviator Flew Home

When It Comes to Family...
Creating funeral flowers for a loved one is a difficult task in itself but when I was asked to create the designs for my sisters husband I knew it was something I had to do. I had to put all my emotions aside and make this happen for my sister. Hand-selecting the blossoms I would be using was one of the most important things I had to do. The family wanted all white but really wanted me to put my own spin on it.

The Softer Side of the Big Guy
Vince loved flowers as everyone knew. His garden was full of life and blooms at all different times of the year. His landscaping has over a dozen different trees and numerous shrubs and plants not to mention the flowers. Vince was a pilot, aviator, and FAA inspector so we certainly had to incorporate something special in the design.

Something Special on the Horizon
The family and I went through Vince's garage and saw this beautiful yellow and black airplane and knew immediately we had to use it. Then across the room was an old gas pump which would become the foot piece. I this was going to be really unusual. I had never done a job so close to the heart so it had to be above and beyond anything I've done before. The designs came together with ease as if an angel was guiding my hands over the flowers. I stayed up all night and surprisingly was not tired. I guess the body knows when giving out is not an option.

Private Moments
The morning of the delivery was a bright clear day. I knew I had to be strong. I felt so extremely fortunate to have private moments with Vince. He watched over me as I placed all the flowers around him, enveloping him with beauty and fragrance. The orchids spilled out over the casket as if they had grown there for years. The crisp white flowers looked simply stunning against the cherry wood casket. I gently placed a satin pillow and floral rosary at his feet on top the velvet blanket. The room was quiet and still except for the snipping of my shears but I know he didn't mind. I spoke to him softly and vowed to keep my promise to him I had made the night before. He looked at peace and I knew it was good. He was finally at rest.











...and the aviator flew home

Comments

Popular Posts